Slobot About Town XXXIX:

Previous Episode
Next Episode

Slobot goes to the Duncan-DuPré House!

Slobot awoke to find himself surrounded by cinder blocks.

He emerged to find that he had spent the night...

at the Duncan-DuPré House!

Today the house sits adjacent to the Magnolia Street Cemetery.

Until 1999, however, the house lurked beyond magnificent magnolia trees at 249 North Church Street. It was in that year that she was moved to make way for the construction of the Marriott Hotel. In moving the Duncan-DuPré House lost its place on the National Register of Historic Places.

But that is all about to change thanks to folks like Rebecca Parrish (above, left), Kristi Webb, the Preservation Trust, Martin E. Meek, Campbell Meek and Associates Architects Inc., the Spartanburg County Foundation and YOU!

The Duncan-DuPré house was designed in the Queen Anne style by Gottfried Norrman of Atlanta, Georgia.

She was built during the years of 1885 and 1886.

At the time of its construction the house was known as the Bishop William Wallace Duncan House.

William Wallace Duncan was the son of David Duncan, who himself was among the original professors of Wofford College.

William Wallace Duncan would graduate in 1858 and would serve as a chaplain in the Confederate Army.

In 1875, William Wallace would, like his father before him, become a faculty member of Wofford College, teaching such classes such as "Mental and Moral Philosophy." In 1886, he become a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

In his capacity as bishop William Wallace used his home to conduct business, entertain and to receive suitors for his daughters, Caroline and Alice.

His daughter, Caroline Duncan, would marry one of those suitors, Warren DuPré.

Bishop William Wallace Duncan would pass away in 1908.

At that time ownership of the home passed to his daughter Caroline Duncan DuPré.

The house continued to serve as a home to members of the DuPré family into the 1970s.

In 1976 the home was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

At that time the home was owned by Wallace Duncan DuPré, Jr. and Mary Sydnor DuPré Cates.

The first floor of the Duncan-DuPré House consists of a parlor, sitting room, dining room, reception hall, library, kitchen, banquet hall, pantries and bathroom.

On the second floor one can find the servants' quarters, nursery and bedrooms.

According to legend, the Duncan-DuPré Home was the first in Spartanburg to have indoor plumbing and sewage connections.

This bathroom, however, was a later second-story addition made by Wallace DuPré, Sr.

Room had to be made for the new facilities and so Wallace DuPré, Sr. had a cantilever restroom designed and built. It clings desperately to a chimney.

Slobot soon realized that the toilet upon which he sat actually hovered over open air! A strange sensation, indeed!

Slobot would like to thank Rebecca Parrish, Kristi Webb, the Preservation Trust, Martin E. Meek, Campbell Meek and Associates Architects Inc., the Spartanburg County Foundation and YOU!

To make a donation please write to the following address:

The DuPré House Preservation Fund

Spartanburg County Foundation

424 East Kennedy Street

Spartanburg, SC 29302

Tell 'em, "Slobot sent ya!"